The Network Society
Jan van Dijk
The Network Society is a clear, engaging guide to the past, consequences and future of digital communication, and forms a comprehensive introduction to how new media functions in contemporary society.
Integrating both face-to-face and online communication, the fourth edition explores crucial new issues and challenges in today’s digital media ecology, in doing so exploring the centrality of power to understanding life in the network society. Featuring:
- The rise of the ‘data economy’
- The increasing importance of artificial intelligence. big data and robotics
- The growth of Internet platforms and how to regulate big tech.
- New coverage of disinformation and fake news, including deep fake videos
- Updates to the story of digital youth culture, as a foreshadow of future new media use
With examples, cases and real-world applications, this is the essential guide for digital and new media students seeking to understand a diverse, fast-moving field.