The Handbook for the Sports Medicine Clinician
Note to Readers: Publisher does not guarantee quality or access to any included digital components if book is purchased through a third-party seller.
This essential handbook for sports medicine clinicians combines resources from various United States and International Olympic Committee sporting guidelines; national and international youth, scholastic, collegiate, and professional associations; and real-world experience to provide the most up to date and relevant information needed to fulfill coverage duties for sporting events. Easy to read, concise, and complete, this guide is a one-stop reference for sideline medical coverage of nearly fifty sports. Geared for live event coverage, chapters deliver quick hit specifics designed for in-the-moment use on the field.
The book opens with a review of general coverage concepts applicable to most sports along with chapters dedicated to overriding medical concerns including emergency management, nutrition and hydration, adaptive sports considerations, and doping in sports, among other key topics. The core of the book focuses on coverage details for individual sports, organized by contact level and presented in a templated format for quick identification. Each sport-focused chapter describes its history, governing organizations, participants, rules and regulations, equipment, medical coverage logistics, medical emergencies, and common injuries. A dedicated “Medical Bag” for every sport outlines the necessary items providers should have at hand for managing emergencies and common injuries. This essential handbook belongs in every sports bag and will serve as a ready resource for clinicians and sideline personnel covering sporting events at any level.
- Key Features:
- Handy reference for on-field, sideline, or event sports coverage – with digital access for mobile use on most devices
- Current guidelines for almost 50 sports, including information specific to the disabled athlete when applicable
- Every chapter contains sport-specific information on emergencies and common injuries
- What’s in your bag? Highlights medical bag essentials by sport, so you’re always prepared
- Includes general chapters on clinician role, traveling with a team, pre-participation exams, medicolegal and ethical concerns, and approach to signature medical emergencies in sports